“Protein Pow(d)ered” Panforte di Siena
- 300 g sugarless candied fruit
- 250 g almonds or a mix between almonds and hazelnuts
- 100 g honey
- 1 Tbsp Stevia or xylitol or sucralose to taste
- 75 g calcium caseinate protein powder, unflavored or vanilla, chocolate or try your favorite
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 25 g sugarfree cocoa powder
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- A big wafer, the kind used for Communion (it helps to keep the Panforte together or mix 5 g xanthan gum)
- Toast the almonds lightly – bake at 300° F for ten minutes.
- Make sure they don’t get burnt.
- Dice the candied fruit and mix it, the nuts, the spices, and the protein powder.
- Using a heavy-bottomed pot and a very low flame, set the honey and the Stevia to boil.
- Stir continuously with a wooden spoon, being careful to keep the mixture from sticking.
- When the syrup reaches the hard ball stage, remove the pot from the stove and stir in the candied fruit, protein powder, and nut mixture.
- Line a 9-inch diameter deep dish pan with the wafer.
- Pour the batter into the pan.
- Flat the batter till it is about one inch thick.
- Smooth the top with a dampened spoon.
- Cover with parchment paper – the panforte should not brown.
- Bake at 300° F for about half an hour.
- Let cool.
- Sprinkle some more protein powder over the panforte.
A Bodybuilder's Pantry http://bodybuildingpantry.com/